Friday, January 30, 2009

God made me a cake

Yesterday, whether I knew it or not, turned out to be a pivotal day in the life of this adventurer. Yesterday morning, I woke up and went about my normal morning routine. Grabbed some fruit for breakfast, took a shower, etc. etc. Then I sat down with my Bible and opened up to Psalm 6. In it, David is pleading with God to remove the current trials in his life. He cries out "How long? How long, O Lord?" His soul is anguish and he appeals to what he knows is true about the Lord, His unfailing love.
The past month or so, I feel as if I have been bouncing along the bottom of myself, just struggling with a lot looking for yet another job and looking to the future not knowing where to even begin. Once again, kicked back stairing up at a hallway full of doors afraid to try too many for fear of rejection after rejection. Also, discouraged a little by how college ministry has started off this semester and just an overall loneliness out here on the East Coast.
So, I am identifying with David over the past few days in his cries for help. Please hear me, Lord! Not physically, but just emotionally I'm done. Financially, if you don't show up, then I am sunk! What do I do? Am I forced to leave? These thoughts just sent me into a spiral, and at the bottom, with David, I'm crying "how long? help me!"
Just finishing up with my quiet time, a familiar "Ding!" comes from the direction of my laptop. You've got mail. "Probably just some stupid spam," I think as I lean over to investigate. I recognize the sender as a lady from the University of Florida PT Department and immediately scan over to the subject: UF DPT Acceptance. Holding my breath (I was expecting a letter in the snail mail in mid-February...) I click to reveal the contents. Pinching myself, I realize that she is telling me that they are offering me a position in their program for this fall! My packet is coming, but she wanted to give me the great news immediately. Overcome, I begin jumping and dancing all around my house bursting with joy. Once I finally somewhat collected myself (I'm still not quite myself :), I laughed and was overwhelmed with God's goodness and faithfulness.
How long, huh? About 5 minutes, my child, just you wait! I am opening a door for you and giving you the desires of your heart, the ones I gave you in the first place.
Okay, so I am doing this Daniel fast. Over the past year in Colorado, when someone got accepted into grad school, we would get a cake and celebrate. As much as I wanted to go out and grab a latte and some cake to celebrate, I realized that that wasn't possible. Little did I know, God was making me a cake :) A little later, one of our Bible study girls calls and needs a mixer to make icing for a cake she is making for Bible study. She is so uberly excited about making us this cake, and enthusiastically makes sure I am going to be at Bible study tonight. This is not a Bible study I normally attend because I lead the other one, but how eagerly she wanted me to come just struck me. I met up with her to deliver the mixer, and she was just as excited about making this cake and having us eat it this evening. My face must have given it away, because her face just fell as she remembered we were on the fast and wouldn't be able to try it after all. I scrambled a bit and told her we might have to make an exception, something that had already run across my mind after talking with her on the phone. This fast is meant to draw closer to God, not to be an obstacle in fellowship, and I felt like serving and loving this friend would be dying to myself and my pride of going 3 weeks on fruits and vegetables and eating a piece of cake at Bible study that night.
It was only after Amber came home and I announced my good news and told her the story of the Colorado cakes, then later we talked about Bible study that she said "Totally, you have to have a piece of cake to celebrate!" Hannah had been planning to make this cake for a week, and God knew it would encourage me so. He made this cake for me and allowed me to eat it. Random, but He cares so much about the little things and can even orchestrate little things like that!
Although, I did eat the cake, and it was amazing, it didn't have it's usual hold over me... I was more joyous in sharing this celebration with dear sisters and celebrating God's faithfulness than with actually eating the cake. Exciting seeing how this fast is bringing me closer to my Savior and He is in fact answering prayers quite directly. O Praise Him!
Isaiah 25:1

No comments: